Purpose of the Program:
• The purpose of the Protocol Support Program is to provide support to foster parents
who are going through the Protocol Process or engaged in a serious disagreement
with Ministry staff.
• The Foster Parent Support Services Society (FPSSS) has been
contracted by the BC
Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD) to provide this service.
Who are Protocol Support Workers?
• Protocol Support Workers are experienced foster parents who have
and had special training and knowledge about the process foster parents become
involved with when an allegation is made against them or they are in a dispute with the
Ministry. They can provide information or answer questions, they can attend interviews,
take notes if requested and ensure that the foster parent requesting their assistance
does not go through this process alone.
Protocol Support Workers are:
• Available to listen to your concerns and provide you with
information and or
• Familiar with foster care policies, all kinds of investigations and the procedures used.
Committed to helping you work with Ministry staff by providing support, clarifying
issues, and ensuring that you get the information you need within the timeframes.
• Recognized as credible liaisons between foster parents and social workers.
• Sworn to protect your privacy.
What are the types of issues that Protocol Support Workers may help with?
Protocol Support Workers may be able to assist you in 3 areas:
What else can a Protocol Support Worker do?
• Help you understand what will happen
• Help ensure the investigation or review is fair and conducted with as little disruption to
your family as possible
• Help you present the facts and your situation in an investigation
• Provide support to you without judging you
• Help keep lines of communication open between you, the social workers, the
investigators and other interested parties
• Tell you about your choices, help that is available, your rights, including the right to
• Support you and your family emotionally
• Work through the process with you to help ensure that foster children continue to be
placed in your home if the allegation is unfounded or overturned on appeal.
Who do you call?
• Because these issues are usually stressful and can have a
devastating effect on
foster parents, do not allow the situation to reach a point of crisis.
• Call for a Protocol Support Worker as soon as possible.
• They are available in different parts of Vancouver Island.
• All you have to do is call Foster Parent Support Services Society at: 1-888-922-8437